The income tax department of India has notified to link aadhar card to Pan card. It is now mandatory to Income-tax your aadhar card with pan card irrespective of the fact that the citizen is a taxpayer or not.As the department has declared a deadline, you should link your aadhar card to pan card as soon as possible, otherwise, your pan card would be invalid.
Here’s a good news for the taxpayers those who haven’t linked their aadhar card to pan card that they can file their income tax return.
Ways to link Aadhar card to Pan card
If you are a registered user at income tax e- filing website:
If you are a registered user at Income tax e- filing website then you have already linked your aadhar card with Pan card. But, in case, you don’t remember, you can check it on the website: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in.
Just follow steps to check whether you have link aadhar card to pan card or not –
- Login to the website: www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in by entering your pan card (User- Id), Password, and your date of birth.
- Click on “Profile Setting” tab and select the last option ‘Link aadhar’.
- The screen will show the message, ‘Your PAN is already linked to Aadhaar number XXXX1234’.
- In case your PAN is not linked to Aadhaar then a form will appear where you will be required to enter details – name, date of birth and gender as per PAN records. Next your Aadhaar number.
- Click on submit after entering the captcha code appearing on the screen.
For the non registered user :
- First, register yourself at the income tax e filing portal, it will ask few details which you to fill and submit it to income tax portal.
- Log in to the e-Filing portal of the Income Tax Department by entering the log-in ID, password, and date of birth.
- When you logged in the portal, a window will pop up and it will prompt you to link your aadhar card to pan card. By the way, if you don’t see the popup, go to the blue tab on the top bar named ‘Profile Settings’ and click on ‘Link Aadhaar’.
- Details such as name, date of birth and gender will already be mentioned as per the details submitted at the time of registration on the e-Filing portal. Just verify the details on screen with the ones mentioned on your Aadhaar card.
- Enter your Aadhaar card number and captcha code and then click on the “Link now” button.
- Now a pop-up message will come up that informs you that you have linked your aadhar card to pan card.
Link aadhar card to pan card using SMS :
SMS format :
Send SMS to 567678 or 56161 in the following format:
UIDPAN<12 digit Aadhaar><10 digit PAN>
Example: UIDPAN 3421342112341234 AAAAAE12EE
Now, the government of India has simplified to link aadhar card to pan card just sending above format to 56161 or 567678.
Note: The individual will receive an OTP from the Aadhar database to their registered mobile number. It has been made compulsory by the government, for the taxpayers, to mention the Aadhar or the enrolment id at the time of filing their Income-Tax returns (ITR).
Manual linking by filing up a form (Annexure-I) :
If you are getting problems like mismatching of data of Pan card and Aadhar card through other methods, then this method is for you, as per the Income-tax department notification, CBDT has provided for a manual method as well to ease the problems of taxpayers.
For that, you need to fill the ‘Annexure-I’ form along with documents like copy of aadhar card and pan card. An amount is charged as a fee that also depends upon the factor that the update is made before or after linking aadhar card to pan card.
For correction of Pan card, a basic amount of Rs 110 is charged and for aadhar card correction, a prescribed fee is Rs 25.
Note: Biometric authentication is compulsory in case there is a major mismatch in data of PAN and Aadhaar.
Sometimes, when you fill your details in the form and you have done a mistake in it.
Here’s the solution to your problem:
Correction facility for linking PAN with Aadhaar is launched by the Income Tax Department :
Now, the income tax department has added a facility to update your necessary details. In order to update your details, you can log on to Aadhaar SSUP (Self Service Update Portal). He/she can also upload all the scanned documents that are needed as data update request proof. These are the methods that can be easily followed to link your Aadhar card to Pan card. For more such methods and insights stay tuned to this.